Founder: Pieter Grijpstra
The co-founder of Linnaeushof was Pieter Grijpstra (1920-1998). He lived in Aalsmeer, where he worked as a policeman between 1948 and 1964. Socially involved as he was, he founded a department of the Dutch Red Cross there. As chairman, he arranged various activities for the benefit of the union of the Red Cross, such as membership recruitment campaigns, fundraisers for the flood disaster in Zeeland (1953) and fundraisers for the youth department.
From flower garden to playground
In 1955, the grounds where the playground is currently located were landscaped as show gardens for flower bulbs, and the existing greenhouse was transformed into a tropical greenhouse with more than 1000 different species of plants. In there, Pieter Grijpstra opened a miniature flower parade at the time, the benefits of which went entirely to the Red Cross. In the spring of 1956 the park opened its gates under the name ‘Linnaeushof’ for the first time. Back then, there were already around thirty-thousand visitors per year. After a difficult start with the flower show garden, the construction of a small playground started in the early sixties. This playground was opened by Godfried Bomans on the 15th of May, 1963.